U-he ACE v220.127.116.1192 WIN MAC LINUX
ACE – Any Cable Everywhere
Compact, clear, a careful selection of modules and semi-modular architecture makes ACE easy to learn. Simple but not simplistic. Compact but not limited. Clear but definitely not underpowered. With the ability to connect any output into any input, ACE is a powerful synth with tools and features ready for beginners or seasoned users.
ACE belongs to a new generation of synthesizers developed with the latest, fastest computers in mind. ACE offers classic modular synthesis and more at a fraction of the cost of dedicated hardware. But like its hardware forebears, you can patch any output into any input: the number of different ways to connect modules together is practically infinite. Needless to say, you will never run out of cables!
- Semi-modular architecture (with default routing)
- Oscillators include pulse width modulation (PWM), sync, internal ring and cross modulation (FM)
- Polyphonic (up to 16 voices), duophonic or monophonic (retriggered or legato)
- Powerful glide options: constant rate or constant time, percentage range control, per-oscillator offset
- Up to 8 voice unison (stack) with +/−2 octave
- 2 multimode analogue-style filters
- 2 ADSR envelopes with fall/rise, snap, singing option for authentic analogue-style voice triggering
- 2 LFOs with 0Hz to 20kHz frequency range (can be used as VCOs)
- 2 multiplex modules for signal mixing / crossfading, ring modulation, amplitude modulation etc.
- 1 syncable and loopable ramp generator
- Mixer with modulation inputs
- MIDI modulation and performance: wheels, velocity, pressure, key follow, gate, 2 user-definable MIDI CC
- Circuit bending options: slop, crosstalk, oscillator cap failure
- 3 effects: chorus/phaser (4 types), delay (7 fixed options), bass and treble controls
- Multichannel MIDI support
- Resizable UI from 70% to 200%
- Over 920 factory presets
The “boxes and cables” philosophy of modular synthesizers gives you the freedom to create your own custom instruments. Once you start connecting the sixteen modules in ACE—exploring new combinations, cross-pollinating ideas—the vast potential of modular soon becomes clear.
The two VCOs act as the main sound generators, but as ACE does not differentiate between audio and control (modulation) signals, the full-range LFOs can also be used to generate audio frequencies.
ACE’s oscillators are modelled on analogue circuits, including instabilities and various non-linear characteristics. You can push these characteristics further using the Circuit Bending options.
If the bottom end needs beefing up, try adding the sub-oscillator. For more intense, complex sounds, try VCO2’s ring modulation, sync and cross modulation.
The LFOs can be co-opted for sound generation. They are similar to the VCOs but have a different feature set, including the possibility of phase modulation (commonly referred to as FM synthesis) and custom waveforms (LFO2 only). Wild experimentation is welcome here—draw any waveform or use the Spectralize function to create additive waves.
Not typically found in analogue synthesizers, ACE’s Mapping Generator is a useful addition with a variety of uses. The Mapping Generator is a list of up to 128 values. You can use the drawing tools to edit the values and create your own patterns, or choose pre-built shapes. This map can be stepped through for each played note, it can create per-note offsets, it can transform any modulation source or be used as the LFO2 waveform.
Like the oscillators, the two filters are modelled on analogue hardware and deliver satisfyingly analogue results. You can overdrive the filters without introducing any harsh distortion, and the resonance remains intact. Or you can take advantage of the self-oscillation feature for chaotic timbres and more experimental sound design.
For an extra aggressive sound, route your signal through both filters and crank the resonance on the second filter. Both filters are cascade type multimode circuits with two parallel outputs each.
Host software / DAW
1GB RAM, more recommended
50MB free disk space
1000 × 600 or larger display
Modern CPU required:
Windows/Linux: Intel Nehalem or newer, AMD Bulldozer or newer
Mac: Intel Nehalem or newer, Apple M1
Linux: glibc version 2.28 or newer
ACE v18.104.22.16898 is not a standalone product, it requires host software. ACE is compatible with nearly all DAWs.
Available as Audio Units (AU), VST2, AAX (Pro Tools 10.3.7 or later) plug-ins with 32-bit and 64-bit versions.